Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Stuffed Cube Steak

For some reason our freezer seems to be running over with cube steak. Bored with the usual baked or fried I was looking around for something different. I found a recipe for stuffed cube steak. It called for a lot of canned soups of which I don't use but thought I'd give it a try with what I had. Here is the end product and quite tasty I must say. I served it with mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli and carrots fresh from the garden. And of course, homemade biscuits! Enjoy! ( no pics on this one, the guys inhaled it before I got my camera!)

I had some herb stuffing mix left from New Year's Eve and to that I added finely diced sauteed onion and celery and enough water to moisten. I then flattened the cube steak with my hands between wax paper. I put stuffing in each steak and rolled them up, browned them in a bit of butter and placed in a baking dish.
For the sauce I sauteed more onion in butter and added some dried mushrooms (re hydrated) from the pantry. I stirred in a couple of tablespoons of flour and cooked. Then I  added 3/4 cup of cream and 3/4 cup of  milk and cooked until bubbly. I  poured that over the steaks, covered and  baked them for about 1 1/2 hours at 350*. After baking I sprinkled with fresh parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment