Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Black Bean & Corn Burritos


Today I needed a fix it and forget it meal. I was going to be a glorious day and I wanted to be outside!
I plundered through the freezer and pantry, taking stock of what was in there. Corn, beans, rice....Hmm...
Burritos? Mexican Salad?
The beans, of course were all dry and would have to be cooked first but everything else was at hand. So here goes.
I rinsed some black beans and tossed them along with some stock in the pressure cooker for 40 minutes. While they cooked I got all my other ingredients together. They were:
chicken  stock
1 package of frozen corn
1 quart of  tomatoes
1 cup brown rice
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped roasted red pepper (from the freezer)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. jalapenos
1 tsp each chili powder & cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper
When the beans were done, I  put everything in the crock pot turned it on low, adding some more stock for the rice to cook in.
I served it in wraps with torn spinach and shredded cheese, topped with homemade salsa, green onions and cilantro from the herb garden and a dollop of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment