Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chicken & Spinach Quesadillas

It's good to have a plan "B". This morning when I went to pull the corn tortillas out of the freezer for our soft taco casserole, they were unrecognizable. Yes, they were freezer burned and pathetic. The chickens were glad to get them, me, not so much. Still wanting a bit of Mexican flair for supper, I pulled some precooked and seasoned chicken from the freezer from the last time I fixed quesadillas and headed to the garden to harvest spinach.
When I cook my chicken I usually simmer several legs quarters at a time with garlic, onion, cumin and chili powder. I shred the chicken and freeze what we don't use, which is good when you need a plan "B" supper. Strain and save that broth! It is a wonderful addition to white chicken chili or a pot of beans.
To put together the quesadillas, I saute onion slivers until almost done and toss in the spinach. Cook until wilted. Brush flour tortillas with a bit of butter. Layer 1/2 tortilla with chicken, spinach and onions and your choice of  grated cheese. Fold wrap over chicken filling and cook over medium low heat until cheese is melted and tortillas are brown. Serve with salsa. Plan 'B" is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment