Sunday, October 23, 2011

Homemade Baked Beans

Homemade yes, baked no. I once again used my trusty crock pot to create these yummy beans. These were a last minute "that sounds good side", so I used my pressure cooker to help get them done for supper. In addition to my regular crock pot (that already had white beans in it for soup) I have a Living Well Pressure Cooker. Not only does it pressure cook, it stews, browns and slow cooks as well. I love it!
I used cranberry beans in my recipe because I think they cook up creamier but you could certainly use pintos, white beans or even baby limas. After using the quick soak method for my beans I pressure cooked for about 30 minutes. I then added the remaining ingredients, pressure cooked another 25 then slow cooked  for the rest of the day, about 6 hours or so. Slightly sweet and smokey tasting from the bacon, they were delicious served with the pork roast my husband had smoked. Slaw and deviled eggs completed the meal~

Homemade Baked Beans
2-3 cups dried beans (soaked overnight or using quick soak method)
water to cover
Pressure cook for 30 minutes.

Add:
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
5-6 pieces bacon finely chopped
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
Stir into beans and pressure cook another 25 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker and cook about 6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment