Monday, October 17, 2011

Hen Of The Wood Mushroom

Today I was gifted with a couple of pounds of Hen of the Wood mushrooms. Also known as Maitake, it is a highly medicinal mushroom known to have immune boosting properties and to fight cancer. Last year I froze a lot of this mushroom but plan to dehydrate the bulk of them this go round. First though I had to make a soup with some of the fresh ones! I started out by sauteing them with lots of onion and garlic until tender. Then I added a jar of my home canned beef stock. Seasoned with thyme, salt and pepper and let it cook for most of the day in the crock pot. Right before serving a splash of cream skimmed from the goat milk from yesterday. Yum.
To dehydrate them I washed the mushrooms really well, which you can do because of the thick flesh, and placed them in my dehydrator for several hours. Once dehydrated I put in canning jars to store. I will use these re-hydrated in pieces or grind them and add to soups and stews for added flavor and health boosting properties.

No comments:

Post a Comment