Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lacto- Fermented Dilled Radishes

A friend brought some of these for me to try and they were so good I wanted to try making some myself.
To make them you will need:
2 c. water
1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
garlic cloves
fresh dill sprigs
radishes
a clean sterilized jar
I first made a brine with 2 cups boiling water and the salt. I set it aside to cool while I prepared the other ingredients.
I used the "Watermelon" radishes that I harvested from the garden. I peeled and cut them into nice size chunks. They were layered in a jar with fresh garlic cloves from the garden and dill sprigs from the herb beds. I poured the cooled brine over the radishes and placed a small jelly jar filled with water on top to keep the radishes submerged. (Set on a plate or bowl to catch the overflow of brine.) I let sit on the counter for 5 days. They started getting the "kraut" smell and I then put them in the fridge. Crisp and delicious, I am sad to say they are almost gone...

No comments:

Post a Comment