Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Red Beans and Rice Soup

Each week I prepare a pot of soup that will be eaten for lunch and/or quick suppers if the day should get away from us. As I perused the fridge to see what ingredients were on hand I spotted the leftover cranberry beans from earlier this week. I decided to make these the base for our soup of the week.
From the freezer I pulled some roasted red peppers and chicken sausage. From the pantry, chicken stock, garlic, onions, and rice. My one cheat for this meal was a packet of Simply Organic Red Bean and Rice seasoning packet, however, you could substitute a Cajun or Creole spice.
To assemble the soup: Cook rice. Saute onion, diced sausage and garlic. Add to beans along with a cup of diced red pepper. These were already cooked, if using fresh, saute with onions. Add rice and enough broth to make of soup consistency and simmer for 30 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment