Monday, March 19, 2012

Grandmother's Collard Greens

Due to the unusually hot days I had to harvest all the collard greens before they bolted this week. I am cooking them like my grandmother used to and freezing them to enjoy at a later date. She was born and raised in the eastern part of N.C. where the black sandy soil grew the best collards and sweet potatoes in the state. They were also famous for their peanuts and country hams. Every time I fix collards I hear her telling me how to do it and it makes me smile.
First of all you MUST have the Morris heading collards 'cause those others won't no good. Yes mam. Once you have the correct variety to cook you must wash them real good. At least twice. Yes mam.
 Now put you ham in a pot of water, cover it and let it boil for at least an hour 'cause that's how long it is going to take you to wash, de-stem and cut up the collards. Yes mam. (We are lucky around here to have a ham company that cures using only salt and sugar but she used ham for all those years, so in this recipe go for it!)
Cut the thick center stem out and coarsely chop the collards.
 If you are going to cook 'em might as well do a bunch at one time. Some for now, some for the freezer. Yes mam. Once the ham has created a nice salty broth add your your collards, cover and boil them for another hour at least. Now when I say boil, she did boil them. I prefer to simmer, that way I don't need to hover over the stove! Enjoy~ Thanks Grandmother!


No comments:

Post a Comment