Saturday, March 17, 2012

Corned Beef

This was posted on my other blog a while back but is so delicious and easy I wanted to repost and add pictures. We love corned beef but not all the junk that is in it. I have started corning my own and it so easy!
You need a large bowl, some salt, water and a roast. I use whatever roast that happens to be plentiful in my freezer at the time. This time it was a chuck roast.
Dissolve 1 cup of salt into 8 cups of water. Put your roast in and make sure it is completely covered and weighed down under the water. I set a plate on top of mine and a jar full of water on that. Let sit for several days. I let mine sit for 4. After corning, take out the roast and rinse. Place in a large pot with your corning spices (I use a mix from Penzey's).To avoid all the big pieces of bay and seeds I ground mine and sprinkled them on the meat. If you cook it stove top, cook for an hour or so before adding vegetables. I like to use my crock pot. I put the roast, spices and large chunks of carrots and potatoes in it, turn on low and cook all day. About an hour before serving I add wedges of cabbage and continue cooking.
And that is what's for supper this St. Patrick's Day!

( Tomorrow we will be having corned beef reubens with the leftovers. Check back for the rye bread recipe!)

2 comments:

  1. I like the sound of your recipe. I've done it before but it was a different recipe. I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say it is very good!I hope you enjoy it~

    ReplyDelete