Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Keeping A Well Stocked Pantry

In order to be able to utilize what you are growing and cook from scratch you really need to have a well stocked pantry. I prefer to buy in bulk as it saves me time and money. I don't have to shop for the basics every week and I don't spend more at the grocery store than intended. You know, you are out of rice, run to the store and said bag of rice cost you $100.00. Sound familiar? Been there, done that.
As I have said I buy bulk basics from a coop. My favorite coop is Something Better Natural Foods and they deliver to this area every other month. If you keep staples on hand you are ready to put a meal together in short time with just a bit of planning.
In my pantry you will find a variety of dried beans. You will also find a several kinds of grains including wheat berries, oats, quinoa, barley, whole corn, rye, spelt and kamut. Brown rice is also a staple, along with a variety of pastas. 
Until my bees produce enough honey for us, I keep a large bucket of that along with sugar and salt. I have lots of spices and herbs as well. Don't forget your baking basics, yeast, baking powder, baking soda and a good quality cocoa powder. Lastly, I keep a variety of raw nuts on hand. Those I keep refrigerated and they are used for granolas,cookies and just plain snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment