Monday, August 1, 2011

And So It Begins...

Yesterday I came home from the grocery store, muttering and stewing over the fact that I had spent $60 and had two small bags to show for it. How do people live these days?! I ranted to my husband. He shrugged once again as he has done for the last few weeks when I ask the same question over and over. I don't buy meat, milk, bread or packaged things and still spend a small fortune. Now, I must admit that we do eat organically and naturally. We avoid all the junk that is loaded with things we can't pronounce and go with fresh wholesome food. I am not a coupon clipper, finding that most of the coupons are for junk food anyway. I mean, really, when is the last time you saw a coupon for broccoli? We are not purists by any means and do enjoy a night out on occasion, but usually feel quite cheated because restaurant food never meets our expectations!
Over the years we have done our best to become more and more self sufficient, raising all of our meat (with the exception of fish) and most of our vegetables. I have attempted to raise dried beans without much success, so I do buy those along with the other grains we use (wheat, spelt, quinoa, rice, etc ) from a coop every other month. We feel this has served us well as we are rarely sick and feel great. So, with us raising the biggest portion of our food, why is it still costing on average of 100.00 each week? I decided to sit down and figure it out and start this blog with the intention of sharing good homestead recipes and helping cut grocery costs by cooking and eating good food made from scratch, the bulk of which we raise here on the farm. Using what is fresh and in season along with what I preserve I hope to see a significant cut in costs. And besides, it will be like a game~and who doesn't like to play?

No comments:

Post a Comment