Monday, July 9, 2012

Creamy Lamb Curry


This was a recipe born of desperation. My intention tonight was to make a Greek meatloaf with a creamy dill and cucumber sauce. Then I realized my dill was dead and I had none dried. Ugh. Plan B was a creamy lamb curry. I started gathering ingredients. I had most everything and headed to the pantry to get some chicken stock. There was none! This is ridicules!! Luke offered to go to the store. Absolutely not, I fumed. Doug asked if I had a plan C. Smarty pants. As Clint Eastwood once said, you must improvise, adapt and overcome. And so I created my own version. It turned out quit good I must say. I served it over brown rice with a salad. 


1 lb. ground lamb
1 medium onion, chopped
1 fresh jalapeno, diced
1, 1 inch piece fresh ginger grated
3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 pint canned tomatoes
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup sour cream


Brown lamb in a bit of butter. Remove to a bowl. Saute onion, jalapeno and ginger in pan until soft. Add 
garlic, saute 1 more minute. Add coriander and cumin. Cook until very fragrant. Add lamb and rest of 
ingredients. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Remove bay leaf and cinnamon
stick. Serve over rice.

2 comments: